5.12.04

The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman

The book I’m reading right now is called “The Amber Spyglass”. It is the third book in the “His Dark Materials” trilogy.

It basically continues where the Subtle Knife left off, and tells that Lyra (main character) is in an enchanted sleep in a cave with her somewhat evil mother. Although it seems that she has become a kinder than last time you meet her (when she kidnaps Lyra), because instead of killing Lyra, she protects her from the church (violent force).

Next, it switches over to Lyra’s close friend, Will, who is in the guidance of an angel. Will is on the track of the kidnapped Lyra.

The main theme in this book is the massive war between Lord Asriel’s atheist-extremists wanting to exterminate god (or the Authority). He wants to do that because he thinks that a world without god would be a lot better, because of the highly restrictive church figure controlling everything in life. This reflects Phillip Pullman’s feeling on the real-life church. I found that out because of a presentation I saw on Pullman. Currently, the two sides are creating their massive fortresses and armies. Hate is in the air, and I am looking forward to what happens.

So far, I haven’t really gotten into the book, but from the summary of it that I heard, I really think I am going to enjoy it later on. I am also looking forward to writing about another book, because I’ve written 6 entries on this trilogy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home