23.10.04

The Golden Compass (part 3) by Philip Pullman

This is the third entry in my series of Golden Compass reading journal entries. I suggest you read the first two before you read this one.

Since last time, a lot has happened in the story. Lyra is up north. She makes friend with an armored bear. An armored bear is a bear that you can hire to defend you and such. They are immune to basically everything. Now this bear is traveling with the Gyptians, and defending them.

The first horrifying thing (this kept me up reading at 12:30 at night) that happens when the groups of travelers are up north is that while Lyra is reading her aleitheometer (a device used by Lyra to find out the truth), she gets a funny feeling from a village. The bear takes her to the village, and the locals of the village eagerly point her towards the thing that pulled her into the village.

As Lyra and Pantelaimon (her daemon), approach a little shack with the mystery inside it, they are quivering with fear. They finally get the courage to open it, and they find a child. The reason this is so horribly horrifying is that his daemon is gone. The gobblers have taken his daemon away! It is considered horrible etiquette to touch someone else’s daemon, but to SEPARATE the daemon from his or her owner is just plain wrong. The owner and the daemon feel such intense pain and heartbreak when they are being separated that it is almost unbearable.

Now because I’m finding it hard to know what to right about, I’m going to tell you how I am similar to Lyra. Lyra and me both like taking risks, and both don’t follow the rules all the time. Her and I also like taking adventures (like how she was so eager to learn about this thing called dust). I would say she is a bit more extreme with everything she does, like running around on rooftops (although that is fun), but of course it is a book.

I still love this book, and think that it is wonderful. Throughout the whole book so far, it has been getting better and better as its been going along. I still highly, very highly recommend this book to you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home