13.11.04

The Subtle Knife part 2 by Philip Pullman

Since last time, a lot has happened in the book. It has gotten a MEGA-TON better. I completely understand everything that is happening now, which shows how good of a writer Pullman is. He can pull people that are falling a-stray back into the book as he did with me. This is a sign of a good writer.

This book has gotten to the point where I can’t put it down, because it’s so good. Here’s the brief summary.

Will and Lyra have gotten quite a bit further. They are spending more and more time in the world, which I called eerie. It is really awesome, because I have gotten to the point where Will and Lyra are finding people who are from they’re old world. As I mentioned before, it is really neat to see the books linking up like this. They met a scholar (a person that knows about dust), and she told Lyra about this stuff called dust. The whole trilogy kind of relates around dust you see. That’s enough summaries for now.

Now for a little bit on the author, Phillip Pullman. I read an interview with Phillip Pullman, and it mentions how he writes with his pen in his shed, in the backyard. He even looks how a scholar would in real life (in my mind). He looks like a mad scientist kind of, which are sort of what scholars are, and is what some of the content in the books revolve around. Maybe Phillip Pullman was trying to draw a bit of himself into the book with the scholars.

I really like how the new character to the series; Will is portrayed in the book. He is very serious, in how he kills a robber in the beginning, and threatens to kill Lyra if she accidentally reveals Will to the police. He treats everything with caution, but when Lyra befriends him, he softens up, and that shows that he is portrayed well. What I mean is that he progresses as he warms up to Lyra, showing good character development, which is a part of what makes The Golden Compass, and The Subtle Knife so great.

So far, I would rate this book a 10 out of 10. It contains the perfect mix of everything, especially suspense and mystery.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home