9.7.05

Writing: Chapter 1

Writing 1

I like playing with fire. It’s a fun thing to do, some may say it’s hazardous but I really don’t care. Of course I use my common sense, and it’s never gotten out of hand. The reason I find it so fun is because I guess of how the fire eats its fuel up. I like the fires that I can interact with, not the boring kind that are in a fire pit fueled by systematically fed wood logs. I like it when I steal some fire from it’s home and start another one, fueled by my creativity and intuition. The creativity and intuition in this case would be the little pieces of kindling I find around nature. It’s especially fun when I find little pieces of things that love to be burnt, for instance a dried pine branch or cooking oil (spray cooking oil on a spatula and burn it and it produces an amazing spatula).

I’ve had a few adventures with fire as the above paragraph would suggest. One of the most notable adventures I’ve had, or the one that comes to mind without effort is one I had with my friend Ben. We started off with a mosquito candle that gives off a slightly odd but pleasant smell if I recall correctly. It burned and burned with no variation until we got creative. Running to the kitchen and back with loads of wax paper added a ton of fun. After adding swaths of wax paper and other combustible goodies we had a hot enough fire burning that it was delightfully eating away at the very wax it was made of. We thought to ourselves and proclaimed “Wow! This is an amazing fire burning from a camilla candle!” Now comes the amazing part of the experience. I don’t know how we started it, but we started spitting water onto the fire. We got mouthfuls of water and spit it on, producing a 5 foot high tower of flame! Hardy (Ben’s dad) joined in, or at-least observed and we continued to enjoy this for a while. It eventually died from our water we were putting in it. In future days we tried this experiment again, but it hasn’t worked since.

Writing 2

I love my iPod. It may seem like an odd choice for when one thinks of love they usually think about love between humans. I love my iPod partly because of it’s creator, Apple, partly because it plays the music which I also love but foremost because of how well it’s design. To the general public, the iPod is perceived as an aesthetic masterpiece. It’s design externally and the software is all so simple and human. It’s easy to navigate without any useless bits of anything to deter you from the experience.

The other half of this is as I mentioned the company that created the iPod, Apple. I would say I’ve felt more love for the company and it’s products simply because I use computers more than music players. The main reason why I love Apple computers (I’m writing on an iBook right now) is once again in how simple and human most of it is. Apple has an amazing attention to detail and the looks of things. One of the main features I love in the Mac OS X operating system is how integrated everything is. For example, you make a movie with iMovie which is a very simple and well done program, you upload it to your .mac account and the whole world can see it with the click of a few buttons.

This seamless integration lets you use the computer more as a tool rather than a thing to get concerned with itself.

Writing 3

I care about my friend Kelsey. Overall, my lifelong friendship with him has proved to be good and worthwhile (but of course, which real friendships aren’t?). When we were younger we would most often meet in the context of the 4 watershed kids, Kelsey, Sean, Erik and I. This was good, although I often felt left out of the group since Erik and Sean seemed to be better friends and Kelsey would tag along with them, leaving me to ponder and loath their D&D games. As we got older, Kelsey started to relate to me more since we were both older than Erik and Sean. Their was a period when we didn’t get along very well, I guess since he was having a hard time getting used to being a teenager and I was dreading that stage and staying as the thing before a teen and pre-teen whatever. Now that we’re both teenagers our friendship is pretty good right now.
Their are a couple reasons for our friendship that I can come up with. For one, we’re both nines on the enneagram system, so I can maybe see myself in him a bit easier than with most people. We both like video games to an extent, me more than him, we both love reading, although he does it more, and we can also relate to each-other in the school context pretty well, making random jokes in the hallways. Our senses of humour generously compliment each-other, although I sometimes feel left out since he can laugh at almost anything remotely funny.

I’ve also experienced being inspired by him, for example. I’ve tried listening to audiobooks, but failed. I found them to be to hard to concentrate on. I also have really had a desire to listen to them since they are a new way to enjoy books and can provide a different experience with the author reading them and all. Kelsey on the other hand can spend a whole afternoon listening to one book for the 8th time (Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy). This has inspired me to listen to them as I have this afternoon.

Writing 4

The word write conjures up a few dry and wet, thus moist images. They’re a pen and pencil, a keyboard, with the most notable being countless days dreading writing a response to a book which I have committed myself to doing. I guess that’s partly why I’m going through this book though.

The word write also conjures up some of my friends’ responses to reading journals. On my side I’ve thoroughly enjoyed writing responses to books over the year, whilst the majority of my peers have expressed their hatred for them five times over. I can understand why since writing is such a dreadful process but I wish they would give it a better chance.
The word write also makes me think of a forest with some prairies at the side of a gravel road leading to a cabin most likely because that’s what I was looking at a moment before.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home