13.6.05

My Teeth

My teeth. I doubt most people think much about them, aside from the dentist. People noticed them when I got my braces, but still, they didn’t actually think about them. One day in the shower, the idea popped into my mind about how my teeth can parallel my attitude towards life in general, and how that view has changed.

I’ll assimilate all the years previous towards the change in attitude into one basic idea. I would brush my teeth before I went to bed. There were a few months where I would brush when I woke, and also floss. Whenever I would go to the dentist, I would be quivering with fear for the faint possibility of a cavity. Just the idea of it made me crazy, the needle getting thrust into my gums and a nasty drill being shoved into me. (This is probably inline with my fear of needles and other such related horrors of the world.) After the cleaning, I would go to Robin’s Donut’s with my mom and buy a donut or two. My very active dental life would go on as usual, with little to no modulation.

When I was 13 (also around when I received the coming of age present of braces), I started to dread brushing my teeth because it took a fair while and it bored the hell out of me. I would procrastinate from doing this, thus reducing my reading time and shortening my sleep. I stopped flossing altogether just since the braces made it unimaginably long and tedious and I didn’t see a point in doing it. This eventually progressed to my slightly apathetic attitude towards them I have now.

So what’s the significance of all this? Wow, Joel’s wild dental life has changed! OH BOY! I see it on how my attitude towards life has had a major shift. Before grade nine (easing up a bit in grade 8), I had a very legalistic air around me. I would silently loathe any person who swore, didn’t like music (amazingly) and got annoyed with anyone who would play it (aside from video game music, [I’m such a nerd]). I wasn’t too close with my friends aside from the ones in watershed, and I was very introverted (which I am still to some extent). Around the beginning of grade 9 my attitude towards everything started to slowly change. I gained a love for music which I thank my friends for. I became more social in a way and gained an off-beat sense of humour. I started to see more deeply in things, and also get caught up in my emotions a ton more (but isn’t that what life is for most teenagers).

Later on in the year, for better or worse, I also gained a sense of apathy for schoolwork I deemed useless (math, band, gym to name a few).

So how does this all tie in with my teeth? The sense of apathy towards them ties in with my schoolwork. But I think it’s all just part of the change that happened within me. I still don’t see the point of braces, do we all need to have perfect features?

- Joel Penner

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home