3.7.05

Cereal Cereal Cereal CEREAL

So let’s make up this little story here. After a long, long day of pure work and NO play, I come downstairs for a bowl of cereal. I’m anticipating what it’s gonna taste like and looking forward to it with a grin. The milk is good, we got sugar so we’re all set to go.

Cereal is very popular. It has been completely entrenched in our north american culture for well over a century. Who hasn’t heard of the typical parent-kid argument of buying the sugar cereal which marketers try so very hard to sell to the kids . Most cereals have mascots to appeal to kids, making cartoons, giving away movies and anything to sell the endless boxes of grain. There’s the debate between health and sugar cereals, preservatives in the boxes. With this, it’s a pretty debated topic (specifically how marketers target kids) which enforces my point of how it’s entrenched in our culture.

Their is one negative aspect of cereal that I find, although it is influenced by my personality. I find that it’s easy to eat a lot of it. It feels and tastes so good to be crunching the slightly soggy cereal mouthful after mouthful. It’s a good boredom food meaning (easy to eat lots mindlessly, crunch pour sprinkle repeat). It’s like when you eat cereal, you enter another world sprinkled with temptations (milk says “Pour more of me in... MORE OF ME!!!” cereal “What he said”). You (or I) have to pay attention to this crazy cereal world, I guess this isn’t only for cereal but that’s what I’m talking about now so hah.

Sprinkling sugar on less-sweet cereals such as cheerios is also an issue (a very debatable one I might add). My friends and I have had quite a few laughs involving the sugar container, with me pouring it and them pushing it up so all of it comes out. It’s hilarious at the time, but it makes for a nasty bowl of crap, which reminds me of the saying “everything in moderation”. Back to my original point though, it’s easy to keep on sprinkling sugar on over and over again. It’s not a big issue, but it leaves a nasty aftertaste in your mouth.

Some of the typical cereals include Rice Krispies, Corn Flakes and All Bran. These cereals which have existed for near a century are the staples of breakfast cereal culture. My favorites depend on what phase of cereal eating I’m currently in. Sometimes I’ll love the bowl of cheerios without anything added, while other times I’ll like honey bunches of oats and vector (currently). It’s really just the battle between sugar and non sugar that determines these phases, because it’s hard to get off a sweeter cereal for plain cheerios if ya know what I mean.

I’m always slightly taken aback at how carelessly the cereal companies use the boxes. When I’m sitting down eating cereal, I’m usually looking at the box. It usually has some half-assed advertisement or an uncreatively put information piece on a charity etc. Personally, I’d love to have a story on the box, or something that’ll interest me. I guess the content on the back of the box isn’t really an issue for most people though... or is it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home