19.11.05

Photography and it’s Assorted Joys

Beauty. There’s a lot of it that our meager eyes don’t notice. You can find beauty anywhere; it’s not hard at all. From a normal kitchen to a leisurely stroll through the seemingly ugly Winnipeg West End, it just takes a little slowing down. Photography is a great method for finding beauty, looking through the lens of a little mechanical device somehow opens up your eyes to everything. It’s like sensory overload!

Photography requires that I lose control. We all love the idea of being in control, it gives us a superficial sense of security, and that makes sense. When you have everything locked up with no surprises in sight, things seem easy. Photography shatters that idea of trying to control the world, you’re observing everything you forget in the normal day to day, submitting yourself not to your own plans but to the abundant beauty everywhere. Sure you’re in control of what you capture, but the scenery is already laid out for you.

Photography helps me to realize how much I get caught up in myself, caring too much about my image, living in fear, judging people and things like that because photography is all about seeing things as they are. When I’m not taking pictures, I sometimes carry a bit of the photographic mindset over to regular life. I find myself mentally taking pictures, seeing how a perfectly normal crack in the sidewalk could be transformed into a very meaningful portrait of something or other.

Photography is very expressive in the way of me filtering my opinions, views and soul into a picture. It’s a really wild idea, displaying bits of myself as a picture that I usually randomly take. It’s a great universal concept in a way, showing how everything is connected and how I can see myself in anything if I try. It can be a non-pleasant concept as well since the possibility of seeing yourself in everything means even the things you most despise. Taking pictures is a great way for sharing myself with others since it’s great fun for others and I enjoy it as well.

I found something interesting about fame through my pictures. When people look at my photos, I sometimes get a buzz off their compliments. It’s better if I smile and remember that the best thing was the actual picture taking. From the moment I start taking pictures to the feedback I get, the process is very open and something that I’m not in control of. I don’t want to take pictures for the buzz of the comments, since that would be trying to control the process, which takes the joy out of it.

In geography class, we were assigned a project that was to be done on a region of Canada. The initial reaction was “ugh”. It proved to be quite boring for the most part, but the only parts that were somewhat interesting were the parts in which I applied myself. For the presentation our group randomly did a play about the prairies (people were grass, rivers, farmers and other odd things). Later on, that was about the only thing people remembered from the whole spiel of presentations. It’s like photography and how you have to be creative to be interesting, working with what’s around you until it’s not just scenery or redundant information.

To summarize about this sublime topic, photography is very meaningful to me, requires me to stop running, and is very enjoyable to say the least. Thanks for hearing me out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home